12.16.2010

someone flipped the feel-good switch in my heart

I went to pick up one of my students - Kenya - from her class a minute ago. Upon entering the classroom I was confronted with a mad wall of laughter and joviality. 23 students ran wild in the room, laughing, smiling, talking excitedly, - all adorned with brand-new hats and mittens. The children in this class are usually very happy and pleasant, but I have never seen them like this:: they were soooo ecstatic! 


I asked their teacher where the hats came from and she explained that every December for the past 15 years a group of nurses has come to Bancroft with bags bursting with hats and mittens for the third grade classes. I have worked here for two years and although my students aren't the poorest of the poor, most of the parents can not afford to replace winter items as frequently as children tend to lose them... so there will be days or weeks where a child will not have his/her gloves or a scarf, etc.
Yesterday one of my students lost her snow pants and she freaked out saying "mama's gonna be so sad at me!!" It broke my heart in the worst way, and today its been broken in the best way. 


Last night I had a conversation with a friend that expressed some despair for the fickleness and downright meanness of people, but today all I feel is an overwhelming feeling of Hope and appreciation. 


If you happen to be one of the awesome people, thank you. 
If not, get your shit together. 


<3

No comments: